One of the so-called Kapodistrian buildings of Aegina, the Government House, is located in the centre of the town of Aegina, next to the Cathedral (Mitropolis) and very close to the Markelos Tower.
A simple, stone, two-storey building with a wooden roof which was built in 1803 and originally belonged to the Aeginetan Archimandrite Grigorios Moiras. In 1827 it was renovated to serve as home for Ioannis Kapodistrias and offices for government and public matters of the Modern Greek state from 1828 to 1829. The ground floor housed the public services and the first floor with two main rooms (one bedroom and one office) was the house of the Governor.
After Kapodistrias left for Nafplio, the Government Building became an asylum for the refugees of the Cretan Revolt, then a girls’ primary school, an archeological museum, a high school and barracks during the German occupation. Today the building has been turned into a museum where the historical archive of Aegina is exhibited.